|September 22, 2014|
• Reader Reactions
• Opinion & Editorial
• Conscientious Objection
• Femmes Fatal: Women & The Draft
• Backdraft: Historical Perspectives on Conscription
• Poetic Justice: Arts & Entertainment About The Draft
• Global Perspectives: Conscription Around The World
• Underground Press: Books & Online Resources
• Uniform Perspectives: Military Views On Conscription
• Selective Service Information
• Reforming Selective Service
• In The News
• About StopTheDraft.com
• nextinnovator (at) live.com
5 Minutes to Midnight
Acts of Conscience
Official Government Sites
Now on DVD: Day Zero
Feedjit Live Web Stats
Books on the Draft
Toldeo Blade: Despite war, neither candidate wants to revive draft
Oct 13, 2008 – Jerome L. Sherman
Even as the U.S. confronts two long wars, neither Sen. John McCain nor Sen. Barack Obama believes the country should take the politically perilous step of reviving the military draft. But the two presidential candidates disagree on a key foundation of any future draft; Mr. Obama supports a requirement for both men and women to register with the Selective Service, while Mr. McCain doesn't think women should have to register. Also, Mr. Obama would consider officially opening combat positions to women. Mr. McCain would not.
Read the rest...
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More In The News articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 7/25 IRIN: Myanmar: No more child soldiers?
• 7/16 NYR: When the Army Was Democratic
• 7/12 The Week: America's jobs crisis: Is reviving the draft the answer?
• 7/12 Policy Mic: Millennials Prepare For Battle: How War Profiteers Are Sneakily Pushing for a Military Draft
• 7/12 United Liberty: Bringing back the military draft is a terrible idea
• 7/12 The National Interest: The Ricks Plan Needs Another Draft
• 7/12 America Blog: Let's draft senior citizens instead
• 7/12 Econo Monitor: The Illusory Economic Benefits of Bringing Back the Draft
• 7/12 The Atlantic: Why New Calls for Military Conscription and a National Service Draft Make Neither Moral Nor Economic Sense
• 7/11 Manilla Bulletin: McChrystal Calls For Reviving Draft
• 7/11 The National Interest: War Is Too Easy, but a Draft Is Not the Solution
• 7/11 Eschaton Blog: Bring Back National Conscription As Soon As I'm Past The Draft Age
• 7/11 Washington Post: Should the U.S. revive the draft?
• 7/11 The Guardian: Why bringing back the draft for military service would be a disaster
• 7/11 The National Interest: The Functions of Conscription
• 7/10 The News Tribune: Former commander in Afghanistan says it's time to bring back the draft
• 7/10 AFP: Ex-US commander McChrystal calls for reviving draft
• 7/10 Commentary: Why the Draft Won’t Work
• 7/10 Comedy Central: Military Expert Thinks We Should "Draft Our Kids"
• 7/10 Salon: No, America doesn’t need a national service
• 7/9 Journal Star: Column: Gen. McChrystal says it's time to bring back the draft
• 9/7 Triple Crisis: Stop the Draft
• 4/11 Register for Peace: The Long Way to Peace: Oh no! (for now)
• 2/17 Culture & Conflict Review: Muscular Nonviolence: People Powered Insurgencies Stage a Stunning Resurgence
• 7/30 Register for Peace: The Long Way to Peace: Well, at least we're going somewhere --
• 3/3 Gender Discrimination in Selective Service Obligation
• 3/1 CCW's Advice to Youth Facing Registration with Selective Service
• 2/19 A Champion of Liberty: I want you!
• 2/11 No Draft Registration, No Job
• 2/11 Register for Peace: The Long Way to Peace: Still Working On It!
• 12/25 It's Time to Update the Draft Registration Form -- and the Selective Service System (II)
• 11/12 Register for Peace: Getting Settled
• 9/29 Register for Peace: Can't call it yet, but hopeful signs -
• 8/11 Register for Peace: Registering for Peace
• 8/7 Register for Peace: Registering for Peace (an article for Yes! Magazine)
• 7/30 Selective Service Is Sued by Quaker: Draft Form Has No Way to Indicate Status as Conscientious Objector
• 7/29 ACLU Lawsuit Says Selective Service System Violates Religious Rights
• 7/29 Tobin Dana Jacobrown vs. The United States of America
• 7/29 Register for Peace: Suit Filed!
• 7/18 Register for Peace: Filing the Case: July 28th
Now on DVD: Day Zero
Gene Sharp in Translation: Strategic Nonviolence