|December 10, 2013|
• Reader Reactions
• Opinion & Editorial
• Conscientious Objection
• Femmes Fatal: Women & The Draft
• Backdraft: Historical Perspectives on Conscription
• Poetic Justice: Arts & Entertainment About The Draft
• Global Perspectives: Conscription Around The World
• Underground Press: Books & Online Resources
• Uniform Perspectives: Military Views On Conscription
• Selective Service Information
• Reforming Selective Service
• In The News
• About StopTheDraft.com
• nextinnovator (at) live.com
5 Minutes to Midnight
Acts of Conscience
Official Government Sites
Now on DVD: Day Zero
Feedjit Live Web Stats
Books on the Draft
Senior Armenian MP Opposed To Student Draft
Oct 14, 2008 – By Tatevik Lazarian
Artur Aghabekian, a retired army general who chairs the Armenian parliament’s committee on defense and security, on Tuesday spoke out against government plans to abolish temporary exemptions from military service enjoyed by university students. Armenian law allows draft-age men enrolled in state-run universities to perform the two-year compulsory service after completing their undergraduate and/or graduate studies. The government has reportedly drafted legal amendments that will scrap the deferments. They have not yet been submitted to the National Assembly and, in particular, its standing committee headed by Aghabekian. “I am opposed to that,” Aghabekian told journalists. “I did not express my opposition one day or one week ago. I was always against the passage of such a law, even when I occupied the post of deputy defense minister.”
Read the rest...
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Global Perspectives: Conscription Around The World articles...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
Support This Site
• 7/25 IRIN: Myanmar: No more child soldiers?
• 7/20 Small Wars Journal: Why Bringing Back the Draft Makes No Sense
• 7/16 NYR: When the Army Was Democratic
• 7/12 The Week: America's jobs crisis: Is reviving the draft the answer?
• 7/12 Policy Mic: Millennials Prepare For Battle: How War Profiteers Are Sneakily Pushing for a Military Draft
• 7/12 United Liberty: Bringing back the military draft is a terrible idea
• 7/12 The National Interest: The Ricks Plan Needs Another Draft
• 7/12 America Blog: Let's draft senior citizens instead
• 7/12 Econo Monitor: The Illusory Economic Benefits of Bringing Back the Draft
• 7/12 The Atlantic: Why New Calls for Military Conscription and a National Service Draft Make Neither Moral Nor Economic Sense
• 7/11 Manilla Bulletin: McChrystal Calls For Reviving Draft
• 7/11 The National Interest: War Is Too Easy, but a Draft Is Not the Solution
• 7/11 Eschaton Blog: Bring Back National Conscription As Soon As I'm Past The Draft Age
• 7/11 Washington Post: Should the U.S. revive the draft?
• 7/11 The Guardian: Why bringing back the draft for military service would be a disaster
• 7/11 The National Interest: The Functions of Conscription
• 7/11 Bloomberg: A New, Improved Draft? No Thanks
• 7/10 The News Tribune: Former commander in Afghanistan says it's time to bring back the draft
• 7/10 AFP: Ex-US commander McChrystal calls for reviving draft
• 7/10 Commentary: Why the Draft Won’t Work
• 7/10 Comedy Central: Military Expert Thinks We Should "Draft Our Kids"
• 7/10 Salon: No, America doesn’t need a national service
• 7/9 Journal Star: Column: Gen. McChrystal says it's time to bring back the draft
• 7/9 NYT: Let’s Draft Our Kids
• 1/15 Bowling Green Daily News: Book review: ‘Power and Struggle’ a journey through the history of protests
• 9/7 Triple Crisis: Stop the Draft
• 4/11 Register for Peace: The Long Way to Peace: Oh no! (for now)
• 2/17 Culture & Conflict Review: Muscular Nonviolence: People Powered Insurgencies Stage a Stunning Resurgence
• 7/30 Register for Peace: The Long Way to Peace: Well, at least we're going somewhere --
• 3/3 Gender Discrimination in Selective Service Obligation
• 3/1 CCW's Advice to Youth Facing Registration with Selective Service
• 2/19 A Champion of Liberty: I want you!
• 2/11 No Draft Registration, No Job
• 2/11 Register for Peace: The Long Way to Peace: Still Working On It!
• 12/25 It's Time to Update the Draft Registration Form -- and the Selective Service System (II)
• 11/12 Register for Peace: Getting Settled
• 9/29 Register for Peace: Can't call it yet, but hopeful signs -
• 8/11 Register for Peace: Registering for Peace
• 8/7 Register for Peace: Registering for Peace (an article for Yes! Magazine)
• 7/30 Selective Service Is Sued by Quaker: Draft Form Has No Way to Indicate Status as Conscientious Objector
Now on DVD: Day Zero
Gene Sharp in Translation: Strategic Nonviolence